Thursday, July 2, 2009

The End is Here...

Tonight was the last night of our six-week Journalism I class. I learned information that will help me become a better writer for The Minaret, help me in my future career and, in the short term, set me up for Journalism II this Fall. Here is a sample of what I learned:

  • First, though I already knew this, NEVER place periods or commas outside quotation marks.
  • "Get the name of the dog." -Sue Carlton
  • Reporters should not, and in some places can't, ever accept bribes, gifts or even a subject paying for a meal.
  • Cite as many sources as possible.
  • Show compassion to those affected by tragedy.
  • With the Internet, it is now a race of seconds between you and rivals, so work quickly.
  • Less relevant information always belongs near the end, in accordance with the inverted pyramid.
  • Never, ever under any circumstances, be FOX biased.
  • Print journalism is either dying or "evolving," mostly the former, depending on the person with whom you speak.
  • That reminds me -- try not to end sentences with prepositions.
  • And finally -- my professor may downgrade me if I don't include this -- NEVER place periods or commas outside quotation marks.
This has been a fun ride. I heard from a variety of guest speakers and worked on a variety of stories, from death to the lighter side of sports. I will see you all again later... I may return here when something else of note in journalism comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment